Repairs II 

Here’s the guitar I made last year. I noticed a squeeking noise when a part of the back was pushed in, and sure enough a back brace has come away. It was easy enough to put glue under it with a little pallet knife and use a piece of spruce, cut to the right length, to wedge it back in place. The view inside is difficult but you can make out the wedged piece here:

I made inserts to house the brace more tightly into the kerfed lining to avoid this happening again. I’m sure the guitar sounds different after this repair. It has a brighter tone, more resonance and more projection. I also made up a label to go inside. Finally!


I wanted to compensate the bridge on my 5 string banjo. This should help keep all the note in tune up the neck. Let’s face it we need all the help we can get keeping the banjo in tune! The stepped pattern compensates for the end correction of the strings. It steps back and forward because the 5th string is the same gauge as the 1st sting. And the 4 the string is wound, making it effectively a similar gauge as the 2nd sting.

f = T/L + p(diameter)  if you like physics!

I also tuned up the head, with the strings off, and dampened it with a little rag inserted near the neck, wedges between the head and the coordinator rod.

The battlestar Galactica keeps cropping up too! I tryed one of the bridges from it for the banjo but it was too low…


This electric ESP needs the pickup wired and fitted. Also the floyd rose bridge must be set up as it has been out of action for a while. No problems here. I even wired in a phase switch in the push pull tone pot for extra tonal options! 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s